Thursday, May 30, 2013

Normal Service to be Resumed Shortly

Three posts out of seventeen apologising for a gap in posts is not a good thing! But various events have kept me from giving The Hissing Fuse the attention it deserves, which will hopefully be shortly remedied.

Previews of coming attractions include:

  • I should soon finish George Coppard's With a machine gun to Cambrai; for a small volume, it's taken me a great time to read it, but I've enjoyed it a good deal. It's very lucid and heartfelt, and in other circs it would be a very quick read, so I highly recommend getting your hands on a copy, gentle reader.
  • Likewise, Foch: Supreme Allied Commander in the Great War by Michael S. Neiberg is a pretty quick read, and I should have that finished off before too long. If I didn't read so many things at once...
  • Meanwhile, Roundwood's World has had several new posts on his lovely poilus and some of their reporter friends.
  • Also, the Lardies' Summer Special is out and has a piece on late war British infantry tactics, with accompanying scenarios.
  • I have a large (large) painting project to work on this summer, which I am hoping to chronicle for you, gentle readers. Perhaps one of my last painting projects for a couple of years...
  • And to get me in the mood for that, I'm planning some rainy day soon to have a Great War marathon viewing session. I have shrinkwrapped copies of Capitaine Conan and Joyeux Noel to break open as well as a been-watched-but-still-good Paths of Glory and (on the magic Internets/Roku box) Beneath Hill 60 and a few other choice examples of the film-maker's art.
That should be enough to whet your appetite, at least! We'll see if I can supply the dishes in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment